Classic British Fish Pie
- 1lb raw shrimp in the shell
- 1/2 lb salmon, skinned and chunked
- 1/2 lb white fish, skinned and chunked
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2-3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2.5 lbs Russet potatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Shell the shrimp and add it to milk and bay leaf to simmer for 20 min. Allow to cool.
- Peel and boil potatoes until soft, then add salt and pepper, mash with a little butter and milk.
- Season the milk with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice and parsley. Add in two tablespoons of cornstarch (mix with cold water before adding) and bring slowly to the boil stirring all the time until the sauce is thickened.
- Layer the fish, shrimp, and hard boiled egg slices in an 8x8 dish, or one of similar size. Then pour over the white sauce and let it chill for 15 minutes in the fridge until the sauce thickens a little. (it's much easier to add the mashed potatoes when the sauce thickens)
- Now pipe or spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the dish and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot, straight from the oven!